Dietetics is a branch of science that studies how food and eating habits affect our general health. While this discipline has a heavy emphasis on public health, its primary goal is to educate everyone about the necessity of eating properly and wisely.
Why do you need a registered dietician?
Nutrition is an important aspect of overall health. Poor eating habits combined with a sedentary lifestyle are major contributors to chronic disease and death. Many of us may require assistance in determining what to eat and how much to eat. Our healthcare professionals will work with you individually, usually via telehealth. They can give you personalized counsel on dietetics to help you achieve your objectives. For instance, you may learn to:
• prepare nutritious meals at home.
• At the grocery store, read food labels and choose nutritious foods.
• When dining out, make wiser selections.
There are many reasons to visit a dietitian
• If you’re trying to avoid or manage a health problem like diabetes, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure. Certain health disorders can be prevented or improved by making changes to your diet, eating habits and physical activity levels. A dietician can help you create goals and make lifestyle adjustments that will help you feel better and improve your health.
• If you have irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease or colitis, a nutritionist can help you find out which foods and beverages to avoid that aggravate your symptoms, such as bloating, cramps, burping, heartburn or diarrhea. At the same time, they will ensure that you obtain all of the nutrients you require from your food.
• If you have a food allergy or intolerance, it can be difficult to know what to consume. A dietitian can assist you in determining which foods are healthy to consume and which foods you should avoid.
• If you need assistance feeding a fussy/ picky eater, they can help you find substitutes to keep your diet nutritious and pleasant. Getting your youngster to try new foods or consume a variety of foods can be difficult. Mealtimes can become stressful for you, your child, and the rest of the family as a result. A dietician can help you make mealtimes more enjoyable by providing ideas and tactics for getting your child to try different foods.
• A dietitian can examine your eating habits and help you develop objectives to improve them. They can teach you how to read nutrition labels, assist you in meal planning, and make grocery shopping recommendations and more.
How can a dietitian assist you?
They can assist you in learning how to manage:
• Obesity problems (loss or gain)
• Get rid of those extra pounds
• Cholesterol and cardiovascular health
• Food allergies and intolerances
• Issues with the bowels
• Gluten intolerance
• Food sensitivities and allergies
• Picky children
• Give your athletic performance a boost.
• And many more health issues
For more information about Dietetics – visit: dietitiansaustralia.org.au